Recreational Pilot Licence (RPL)

The Recreational Pilot Licence (RPL) is your first step in becoming a pilot. 

The RPL is designed to teach you the fundamentals of flight and give you basic aeronautical knowledge to fly safely. It allows you to fly an aircraft with passengers in a defined area, without having to be supervised by a flight instructor.

Theory is incorporated into the RPL; it is not just about the flying!

We regularly run RPL theory courses to help supplement what is learnt by flying the aircraft, and prepare you for the RPL theory exam conducted by the Civil Aviation Safety Authority (CASA)

3 Step Process

Step 1 - Flying:

Generally an RPL takes 25-30 hours of flight training. Starting from scratch, your instructor will give you

one-on-one training, teaching you basic handling techniques and emergency procedures, preparing you for you first solo flight.

Of the 25hrs required for a RPL, 5 hours are supervised solo time where your instructor will be watching you from the ground. 

Step 2 - Theory:

You can either choose to attend our RPL theory classes that run regularly throughout the year, or self study the course material at home. Theory often falls behind with students as hands on flying is more exciting, however, you must pass theory exams before being able to fly solo or conduct the RPL flight test

Step 3 - Flight Test:

After completing the required flying and theory, you will be ready for the flight test. The test is conducted by a Flight Examiner and will include both an oral questionnaire and a flight component.  

When you pass the flight test, all your time and effort will be rewarded with you first pilots licence; a RPL!

CASA Requirements

Flight time & experience:

CASA require that you have, as a minimum:

  • 20 hours dual flight time with an instructor,

  • 5 hours solo flight time,

  • 25 hours total flight time

Solo Flights:

Before your first solo flight without an instructor, you must:

  1.  Be 15 years of age or older

  2.  Have a Class 1 or 2 Aviation Medical

  3.  Have a CASA Aviation Reference Number (ARN)

Recreational Pilots Licence:

Before you can conduct the RPL Flight Test you must:

  1.  Be 16 years of age or older

  2.  Have a Class 1 or 2 Aviation Medical

  3.  Have an Aviation Security Identification Card (ASIC)

We can help you with the required paperwork for the ARN, ASIC and help you select the nearest Aviation Doctor who can issue Aviation Medicals. 

For more information please contact us.

Recreational Pilot Licence

Full time, Part time or casually... your choice

© Panair Flight Training

Mobile: 0490 065 729

Land Line: 02 63 373737

Contact Us

Our office is located at the

Bathurst Airport

Hangar 2, PJ Moodie Drive

Raglan NSW 2795

Open 7 days a week:

  • Facebook Social Icon