top of page

Recreational Pilot Licence

The Recreational Pilot Licence (RPL) is your first step to becoming a pilot.

The RPL is designed to teach you the fundamentals of flight and give you basic aeronautical knowledge to fly safely. It allows you to fly an aircraft with passengers in a  defined area, without having to be supervised by a Flight Instructor.

Theory is incorporated into the RPL. It is not just about the flying!

We regularly run RPL Theory courses to help supplement what is learnt by flying the aircraft, and to prepare you for the in house RPL theory exam conducted by the Civil Aviation Safety Authority (CASA).

3 Step Process

Full time, Part time, or casually... your choice




25 - 30 Hours of Training

Zero Experience Required


You will learn basic handling techniques and emergency procedures to prepare you for your first solo flight.

Once you are ready, your instructor will supervise from the ground whilst you complete 5 hours flying solo.





We facilitate RPL theory classes throughout the year

Or you can self study the course material at home

Studying theory in depth will allow you to pass the exams required to fly solo or achieve your RPL





After completing the required flying and theory, you will be ready for the flight test.

The test is conducted by a Flight Examiner and will include both an oral questionnaire and a practical flight component.

Once you pass the flight test, all of your time and effort will be rewarded with your first pilots licence - RPL!


CASA Requirements

Flight Time & Experience

CASA require that you have, as a minimum:

  • 20 hours dual flight time with an instructor,

  • 5 hours solo flight time,

  • 25 hours total flight time

Solo Flights

Before your first solo flight, without in instructor, you must:

  1. be 15 years of age, or older,

  2. Have a Valid Class 1 or Class 2 Aviation Medical,

  3. Have a CASA Aviation Reference Number (ARN)

Recreational Pilots Licence

Before you can conduct the RPL Flight Test you must:

  1. be 16 years of age, or older,

  2. Have a Valid Class 1 or Class 2 Aviation Medical,

  3. Have a Valid Aviation Security Identification Card (ASIC)

We can assist you with the required paperwork for the ARN, ASIC and help you select the nearest Aviation Medical Examiner who can issue Aviation Medicals.

For more information please contact us.

bottom of page